Maybe Today Is The Day?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010
I have a few little butterflies in my stomach and a smile on my face but deep in my mind there are doubts.

I'm talking about a picture book manuscript I sent to a publishing house in January. On the site it state it usually takes 3-4 months to respond. It also state if you do not hear back from them by 5 months you can send an inquiry.

So that is pretty standard for most publishing houses. So why am I a little excited? Here's a few reasons.

1. Today is exactly 4 months since I sent the manuscript meaning it hasn't been rejected yet. That's something to get excited about, right?

2. I am totally in LOVE with this manuscript and last year, when I sent it to a different publishing house, it was shortlisted for publication but ultimately wasn't chosen. However, I'm really glad it wasn't chosen because I believe it is a better fit where it is currently.

3. I sent a 2nd manuscript to the same publisher in March and received a rejection for it in April. One month! It only took them one month to reject it. Does that mean the other manuscript they have had for 4 months is being considering? I'd like to think so. :)


Now here are the doubts creeping their way in:

1. Maybe my manuscript simply got lost! Maybe, I've been sitting here for 4 months waiting for a situation to resolve that doesn't even exist. I will be heart broken if they don't have my manuscript but I will just have to send it again because it is a good fit.

2. I'm wondering if there is a delay in responses because the publishing house has had some staff changes? This doesn't bother me as much because it is to be expected. Change can sometimes be difficult and I understand that.

So, that's what's on my mind today. I will be twittering my visit to the mail box today so be sure to join me at http://twitter.com/auntieflamingo

2 comments:

  1. helgor said...:

    The dream is still alive! Good luck :-)

  1. Hello Hélène,

    Thanks. I can use all the luck I can get.

    Madeline

Post a Comment